Home Care Package Costs
The ability to live independently with quality home care and support is priceless. However, there are still fees and funding options to consider.
At Mayflower, our friendly team is available to help you navigate home care package costs, access funding and get the necessary home care services in place.
Four Ways to Fund Home Care Services
Who covers home care package costs? It all depends on your financial situation.
Whether you’re seeking home care for an ageing parent or need a bit of extra support yourself, there are four main ways to fund home care service.
- Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) subsidised by the federal government
- Home Care Packages (HCP) subsidised by the federal government
- Self-funded private home care plans
- Hybrid plans combining government and private funding
1. Commonwealth Home Support Programme
The CHSP is typically available through your local council and offers entry-level financial support for in-home care services.
This programme can help offset the costs of basic assistance, whether you’re recovering from an illness or simply need more support at home.
While accepting funding through the CHSP, you’ll receive a government subsidy for necessary services but may also be asked to make contributions if you can afford to do so.
2. Home Care Packages
The federal government’s My Aged Care - Home Care Packages include four levels of funding to help meet different care needs. Home Care Package subsidies contribute to the total cost of your service and care delivery.
The amount you may receive will be based on your required level of care. It is also expected that you will contribute to the cost of your care if you can afford to.
Government Home Care Package Funding
Basic care needs
Low-level care needs
Intermediate care needs
High-level care needs
If you’re eligible for any of the following home care supplements, you may be able to receive additional funding from the government as well:
- Dementia and cognition supplement
- Oxygen supplement
- Enteral feeding supplement
- Veterans’ supplement (when care requirements relate to mental health conditions)
- Viability supplement (in rural or remote areas)
- Hardship supplement.
3. Private Home Care Plan
At Mayflower, our Private Home Care plans provide tailored support on a fee-for-service basis. Unlike a Home Care Package, these self-funded plans are not government subsidised.
Here are some reasons you might choose Private Home Care:
- You’re waiting to get government-funded services approved but would like immediate support
- You’re in a stronger financial situation
- You don’t meet eligibility requirements for government subsidies
- You would prefer not to go through the health and income assessments required for government funding
Private Home Care can be arranged on a short term or ongoing basis, seven days a week, 24 hours a day. It can be particularly useful if you are caught off guard. As no assessment or subsidy is required – the help arrives immediately.
4. Hybrid Plan
There really is no one-size-fits-all approach to covering home care package costs, which is why Mayflower offers you the flexibility to choose your preferred service level and payment plan.
It’s possible to combine Private Home Care with My Aged Care Home Care Package funds into a hybrid and fully customised in-home care plan.
Home Care Package Fees
There are a number of different fees associated with home care packages.
Basic Daily Fee
Home care providers can set a basic daily fee for their services, up to the maximum rate set by the Department of Health. The fee maximum is calculated as a percentage of the current single age pension. This means you could be charged up to $11.26 per day (effective March 2022).
At Mayflower, we do not charge this fee, which helps keep your total home care package costs down.
Income-Tested Care Fee
This charge is an additional contribution that some people are required to pay based on their financial circumstances.
While the exact amount you would pay will be established through a means and income assessment, and maximum rates are subject to change, here is what you might expect:
- Full pensioners do not have to pay this fee
- Part pensioners may pay up to $5,879.85 per year
- Self-funded retirees may pay up to $11,759.74
Additional fees are any other amount you agree to pay for extra goods and services that aren’t covered by a government-subsidised Home Care Package, or additional services above your funded amount that you agree to with your care provider.
My Aged Care Home Care Packages generally exclude:
- Mortgage or rent payments
- Home modifications not related to your care needs
- Holiday travel and accommodations
- Grocery and entertainment expenses
- Other items you would purchase with discretionary income
Mayflower’s Home Care Costs
When considering home care service options, it’s important to know the costs associated with the types of services you’ll need. Our experienced staff can walk you through the rates and help devise a customised plan based on your care needs and financial considerations.
Mayflower’s fee schedule is always available to view.
Services and starting rates include:
- Personal care services from $54 per hour
- In-home respite care from $54 per hour
- Cleaning and household tasks from $54 per hour
- Light gardening from $54 per hour
- Nursing care with an enrolled nurse from $70 per hour
- Nursing care with a registered nurse from $99 per hour
- Self-managed care advice from $120 per hour
- Overnight care from $270 per evening
Estimating Your Home Care Costs With Mayflower
Whether you or a loved one receive government-funded home care, pay for a private plan or choose a hybrid funding model, you’ll always receive the highest quality of care.
Our team at Mayflower can provide guidance on what you can expect to pay. You can also estimate of your likely fees by visiting the MyAgedCare Fee Estimator.
Contact Mayflower to Learn More
Find out more about Mayflower’s home care package costs and services in Melbourne by connecting with our friendly care team today. Call our home care offices in the Bayside or Northern Melbourne suburbs, email firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the inquiry form above.